by whitney marie

Baking and sewing, two of my favorite things. I am in no way an expert on either but I am certainly on a journey to be the best that I can be in both. This blog is a way for me to document the things I learn, my crafting successes (and failures), and hopefully showcase my growing talent. If you see anything you like, requests can always be made. Thank you for taking the time to visit and enjoy!

Sunday, February 23, 2014

Soft Sophistication



While I am working on a larger secret project, I needed a smaller, quick craft to mix things up a little. I find that if I stick to just one project for too long, I get too focused on completing it rather than perfecting it and enjoying the process.  I had bought packs of assorted fabric from Wal-Mart so I dug out all of my unused scraps of fabric and combined them with the packs to make a baby blanket for a co-worker. As the gender of the baby had not yet been revealed, I wanted to make something that could kind of be considered 'gender-neutral' and the fabrics I used don't give it the typical "baby" look, which I kind of love.

This project turned out well for a few reasons. While still not perfect and containing just a few areas where the seams don't line up perfect, like this:


I did a much better job at making the seams the same size and lining them up  than I had before, so that the majority of the blanket looked like this: 


Finally, in my mind, my greatest triumph was the hem around the outside. My other practice blankets had borders that weren't all the same size and had a stitching that seemed to be all over the place. I focused much more on the placement of the stitches and the size of the hem than I had before and to my great pleasure, it turned out wonderfully! Even my corners mostly resembled a corner and for the first time, I feel confident enough to actually give the baby blanket away as a gift.


The fabric I used for the backing is by far one of the softest fabrics I have ever felt and the texture is wonderful for babies. It's called Minky Fabric and can be found at Joanns and some Wal-Marts. I'm sure they sell it in other stores but these are the only two I have looked in so far. I do know that Amazon sells it so that is always my back up plan if necessary. The Minky fabric gives a great weight and warmth to the blanket that other quilted backings just won't do; and it is a great fabric to work with, especially for beginners. 


All in all, this was the perfect two-day project and it rejuvenated me to work on my secret one. And better yet, I have my gift for a baby shower in March already done!

No comments:

Post a Comment