by whitney marie

Baking and sewing, two of my favorite things. I am in no way an expert on either but I am certainly on a journey to be the best that I can be in both. This blog is a way for me to document the things I learn, my crafting successes (and failures), and hopefully showcase my growing talent. If you see anything you like, requests can always be made. Thank you for taking the time to visit and enjoy!

Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Expect the Unexpected




As I get more into baking, I can only be thankful for my family graciously enabling me in my new hobby. Not only did I get two sets of baking pans for my birthday, I also received a gift card to Michaels to let my imagination run wild in the baking aisle. One item in particular has continued to catch my eye whenever I am in Michaels: the Wilton "professional" decorating tip kit. I have a few decorating tips already and could continue to buy each one I want for another $.99-$2.99 a piece, but this kit just makes so much more sense. While it provides an almost unfathomable amount of creativity (at least to me) for the true professionals out there or amateurs like myself, this bad boy runs $50! That's a lot of money for a newbie with lofty goals to spend. Lucky for me, Michaels frequently posts coupons online and I found a 50% off one item before I hit the register.  I know it might seem like I'm talking this kit up a little too much, but I guess for someone who gets pretty dang excited over different icing techniques, finding this is like finding the holy grail.


So after purchasing this kit, I obviously returned home with the notion that I need to practice with as many of the tips as I can in one day. It also occurred to me that even though I may be working on another sewing project on the side, I haven't actually blogged in almost two months. Life has been a little busy in the last month or so but if I can't find time to bake some sweets for the hubby and co-workers I am doing something wrong. 

What's the best way to practice as many different styles of icing as I can at once? Cupcakes! I suddenly remembered I had forgotten, luckily, about the pack of Oreos I purchased a week ago after hiding them in the very top of the cabinet. So my sweet tooth took over and I set out to make chocolate-oreo cupcakes with a cream cheese frosting.


I made chocolate cake batter for what is unfortunately the very first time from scratch, making sure to add just a little more cocoa than what the recipe called for. After filling the cupcake pan, I realized I had far more batter than anticipated and decided to also use one of my new pan sets I received for my birthday. These pans are pretty exciting to me because they create space in the middle of the pan to add other sweets or "surprises" of your choice without having to go through all of the work I have in the past. Even better, they're smaller and allow for some flavor creativity and personalization.


While the 16 cupcakes and four mini-cakes were baking and cooling, I whipped up a batch of cream cheese frosting, which I must say turned out amazingly! I'm not usually a fan of cream cheese frosting but thought it might go along pretty well with the Oreos and the chocolate; a buttercream icing just didn't seem to fit with this combination.


Now to the whole point of this little adventure: the decorating! After filling three icing bags with different decorating tips, I anxiously started out on my "practicing".  I could lie and say that they ended up exactly like I had imagined but I have to tell you, it was such a failure! The consistency of the frosting made it all blend together in one lifeless blob instead of holding the beautiful shape it was supposed to make with my brand new tips! In the past, my OCD would lead me to scraping off the frosting and starting over but my patience was already wearing thin after how quickly my excitement died off.  Luckily, simply placing an Oreo on top made the whole thing look intentional, at least I thought so, and I called it good. 


After my defeat in the Battle of Cupcakes, I looked to the mini cakes with a hope for inspiration. I have been craving strawberry shortcake lately and decided that was a good place to start but with the obvious chocolate twist. I filled the inside of one cake layer with a little bit of icing and filled it the rest of the way with sliced strawberries. Then I filled the "top" half of the cake with icing and placed it on top of the other layer, hollow side down. After again trying to decorate the top of the cake with the new icing tips and once again failing, I sliced up more strawberries and placed them around the top in what I would like to think was an artistic method. 

 
Pretty, huh?!


I had two more layers left and unfortunately my husband doesn't like fruit, so I gladly returned to the remainder of the Oreos to complete his cake and eliminate the option of me eating any more of those delicious devil cookies. I repeated the same process of filling the inside of the cake layers with icing but then used crushed Oreos for the surprise inside.  Again, of course I attempted to decorate the top of the cake but failed even worse than before, resulting in icing falling all over the sides and me having to keep the process going in the direction it was already choosing to. I coated the entire outside of the cake with icing and topped it off with more crushed Oreos. I have to say, I ultimately really liked the way the two cake's colors complimented each other.



I have so far only taste-tested the strawberry cake but it was delicious!!! Even though I completely failed at what I initially set out to do and must now sacrifice my diet to "practice" decorating again later on this week, I was so pleased by the end result of the surprise-inside cakes.
 
Moral of the story: just start baking and see where you end up. I can almost guarantee you have plenty of people to eat your baking failures, too. 

Enjoy!
 







No comments:

Post a Comment