Baking a pecan pie on Saturday really motivated me to make my first apple pie of the season. Now I know there are some strong opinions about what kind of 'topping' belongs on an apple pie. The majority of my family loves some crumb topping but in my book, save that for an apple crisp. I am a die-hard, old-fashioned, apple pie lovin' kind of girl. And lucky for this girl, the hubby hates fruit which means the whole thing is mine!
That being said, you can still be old-fashioned while throwing in a little style. Along with the pie crust silicon cover from the last post, my sister-in-law got me these adorable pie crust cutters and I figured this was the perfect time to bust them out.
After making a batch of pie crust and coating the sliced apples in a wonderful cinnamon-sugar concoction, I rolled out the top half of the pie crust to about 15" in diameter. I love the leaf cutout, especially with it being Fall, so I made cutouts throughout the topping before placing it on top of the bottom crust and apples.
The leaf cutouts were too cute to waste that I used them around the outside of the pie to complete the crust. Before baking, I brushed the top with milk and sprinkled with sugar.
In my opinion, a little bit of vanilla ice cream resting on top of a slice of warmed apple pie with a glass of cabernet is the perfect way to call it a night. I did have to fight the urge to bake more pies today. At some point I'm going to have to find somewhere to get rid of these pies or we will be forced to eat them all and pack on the pounds before the holidays even get here!
Now to decide on the next pie to make... And who to donate it to...
No comments:
Post a Comment